Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Hymns of Zion

Clyde and I received our materials to learn Danish.  We have a tutor that we Skype with for several hours a week from the MTC and soon we will have a couple that will speak Danish with us for 1 or 2 hours a week, also supplied by the MTC.  (I think this is what you were doing Marianne, when you were helping with German).  Brother Birk, our Danish tutor, always begins each session with a hymn, a thought and a prayer.  We sing from the Danish hymnal.  The literal translation of the Danish hymnbook title is "Hymns and Songs".  By looking at the notes, I have figured out quite a few of the hymns.  As with ours, the first three hymns are: "The Morning Breaks"; "The Spirit of God"; and "Now Let Us Rejoice".  When I saw that - I found it strangely comforting.  The day we finally had our materials in hand, I was feeling very overwhelmed.  Then I picked up the Danish Hymnal and knew everything was going to be okay.  I guess that music has always brought peace to my soul. 

Because I am a bit frantic right now with moving in 93 days, having to spend 2-3 hours on Danish and getting my exercise in daily, I hadn't realized I had pretty much eliminated music.  The other day as I was dusting and packing, I put in a classical music anthology.  I got more done and was more content than I had been in a long time.  It is obvious.  Music is important to my well being and I have to make time for it daily - just like reading my scriptures.

1 comment:

Cari said...

I agree! Music is ALWAYS soothing and energizing - depending on what is needed.