Wednesday, April 24, 2013

What Our Mission will entail

One of the frustrating things about this mission call has been lack of information.  I would call the mission offices and ask and they would send me to the family history center.  No one knew what we were doing or what was expected of us.  When I told one sister that the dress for my husband and me was 'business casual' and I would be wearing pants on occasion - she actually wondered if we had a 'real' mission call.  I assured it was signed by the First Presidency.  Finally early Tuesday morning, Clyde received an email with the job specifics in it.  We are going to learn how to operate digital cameras for the purposes of microfilming important documents in Denmark.  I cannot tell you how relieved we were to just know that much.  In the letter it affirmed so much but it also explained that we report to the Church Offices for one week of intensive training.  That was suddenly like a bell went off.  We have received subsequent correspondence and found that this particular calling is from THE Church offices.  Partly because it falls between a mission and family history and partly because it goes under the historical records department.  We funnel into three departments just by the nature of what we are doing. 

This next part is whining - so if you have listened to me lately you can quit reading.  Danish is HARD!  I want to say it with a German accent and I want the words to be pronounced as the would in German.  It doesn't work.  I am feeling like President Uchtdorf when he said his mouth was not made to speak English.  Well, my mouth is not made to speak Danish!  The other thing that Clyde and I have learned is we are not very patient with ourselves.  We want to be able to do things perfectly immediately and that just doesn't work in this setting.  However, I did find out that a bunch of the place names in my ancestors genealogy were spelled wrong.  I am thinking that is why we  have never made headway in those lines.  I am sending the corrected spellings to my parents so they can fix them and possibly move forward now.

No comments: