Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Tuesday Book Review on Wednesday

I am a day late on my book review but I had a busy day yesterday and a terrible headache. It didn't make for a good review day. This last week I have read Jason F. Wright's "Christmas Jars". It was a sweet book that finally got me a little excited about the Christmas Season. Those of you that know me will be a little surprised to know that I have had kind of a "Bah Humbug" feeling this year. I am tired of being so far away from family and fighting my husband about Christmas. I will let others do the hustle and bustle and I will do only what is necessary and nothing more. This book at least made me realize I needed to reach out to some of the ward members that are needy in different ways. I have some plans now to make their Christmas a little brighter.
" Hunting Ground" was good but not my favorite. Heather and I love the Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs and we are constantly trying to find Mercy in her other books. It finally dawned on us that when we didn't find her - we were a bit disappointed. The book is well written and right on track with her story line. I just like Mercy Thompson a bit better than the Alpha and Omega storyline.


This may look like an odd read for me. Well I must confess I didn't read it. Clyde and I listened to it. When we travel we go the library and check out CD's and listen in the car. This time we listened to the Percy Jackson series first two books and then the "American Lion" by Jon Meacham. This is the story of Jackson during his White House years. It was fascinating. A couple of things I learned was that he was deeply loved by the American people but his contemporaries - including his Vice President for his first term - HATED him with deep passion. They felt he had no right in the White House or the Presidency. They even manipulated it so that John Quincy Adams won the election so Jackson didn't get in sooner when the Electoral College didn't come up with the confirming votes for Jackson (It should have been but the House said it needed to be voted on by them so they voted Adams in instead). The senate hated him so bad they decided to censure Jackson when Jackson shut down a powerful bank that was manipulating the Senate and the House votes. That is why we sometimes read that he is the first President to be impeached. What we don't read is that they eventually expunged that from the record (or in other words deleted it). Unfortunately it is like anything that is said - once it is out there - it is always there. I doubt I would ever read this book, but listening to it was fascinating and kept us awake coming home.
Things I am thankful for: Books on CD; Christmas music; Christmas movies; Christmas Decorations; sunshine; that it hasn't been too cold yet (thanks to el Nino')

No comments: