Friday, December 4, 2009

More Recipes

A few of you commented that you did not like pumpkin in any shape or recipe so you would not even try the Pumpkin Spice Waffles that I put in here a couple of weeks ago. (Pam did try them by the way and though she could taste the pumpkin - the Gingerbread flavors overpowered the pumpkin. She quite enjoyed them). I thought I would write up the inspiration for the Pumpkin Gingerbread Waffles. Years ago, my cousin Cyndi Allen Peterson gave me her Gingerbread Waffle recipe. This is the Allen family Christmas Morning breakfast tradition. It was during one of my 'health' nut times and so I tweaked it and played with until I came up with the pumpkin version. I think I also didn't have molasses - so the pumpkin went in as the substitute. Anyway, the Allen's serve theirs with a lemon sauce that I have lost. We serve it plain, with applesauce or fresh whipped cream.

Gingerbread Waffles
1 1/2 cups flour 2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup molasses
1 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 cup melted butter
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Mix the dry ingredients together and fluff with a whisk. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and gradually add the sugar until frothy. Stir in the buttermilk and the molasses. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Add the melted butter that has been slightly cooled, last. Cook in waffle iron, according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve with whipped cream, apples sauce, or just sprinkled with confectioner's sugar.
_______________________________________________
This is really simple Blueberry pancake recipe. I used fat-free sour cream or yogurt instead of full fat sour cream. In fact I have never used regular sour cream for this recipe. I imagine it would heavenly but I never have it in the house. I also use the lower fat version of Bisquick but the original recipe was for the regular version.

Sour Cream Blueberry Pancakes
2 cups Bisquick mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed blueberries

Heat skillet over medium heat or an electric griddle to 350 degrees. Grease the pan or spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Beat Bisquick, sour cream, milk and eggs together (you might have to add a bit more milk to make it the right consistency) in a large bowl with a wire whisk or hand mixer until smooth. Hand stir in the blueberries with a spoon. With a large serving spoon (I use a gravy ladle) pour the batter onto the skillet to form the pancake.

Cook about 3 minutes per side or until the edges are dry. Turn and cook an additional 3 mintues on the other side. Make sure your pancake is not too thick or it will not cook in the center.

I hope you enjoy these recipes.

Things I am thankful for: I have an assistant for Faith in God for Girls; Good friends; Seasons Greetings.

1 comment:

Elise said...

Thank you for sharing all receipes!! I LOVE it!!!! I'll have to try these pancakes and see which I prefer :)