Monday, December 14, 2009

Monday's Hero




Those of you that know me well, know that I love Christmas and that I still believe in Santa Claus. I collect Santa Claus paraphernalia. I love Santa Claus for what he represents. He gives selflessly to everyone but especially to children. He loves all. There are more and more people that are concerned about their children growing up with the myth of Santa. That somewhat breaks my heart. So I will share something with everyone. Several years ago, our daughter Heidi gave me a book by Diane G. Adamson. It is called "I Believe In Santa Claus". I highly recommend it. You can get a copy on Amazon.com. It beautifully discusses Santa and Christ during the Christmas season.




All the Stories of Santa Claus and St. Nicholas always entail selfless giving. He is someone that during this season of stress and greed that we could all emulate. I think that is why I always keep a few Santa's up around the house all year - to remind me to be selfless all year long. There is no harm in that.




We tried to teach our daughters that giving was the way of Christmas. I watch them to this day as they are more excited about giving the gifts than they are receiving them. We would pick families out and anonymously give part of our Christmas to them. We did the 'giving trees' and Toys for Tots. Many years were spent with our family bustling around for 12 days before Christmas giving gifts to a family for the 12 Days of Christmas. We always had such a good time doing that. These were all inspired because of our family's love of Santa Claus. So today I honor someone that may not exist anywhere but in our hearts - but may he make our hearts be turned to Christlike ways during this holiday season.




Things I am thankful for: Jets, suitcases, Christmas cards and gifts to give and receive.
(P.S. I have no idea who is in this picture. It was in the clip-art and I thought it was cute.)

No comments: