Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Rocket Boys by Homer H. Hickam, Jr. and other odds and ends





I just got finished reading "The Rocket Boys" by Homer H. Hickam, Jr. It is the book that the movie "October Sky" is based on. I couldn't put it down. I love the movie and we watch it quite often. The book was a close match to the movie with just the background filler. The two major differences were there were 5 boys (and sometimes 6) that shot off the rockets and it took place over a 3 year period. The boys actually shot off the last rockets at the end of their Senior year in High School. Since the book is so close to the movie - there really isn't a lot to say. However if you are interested in finding all of the background information on all of the boys and more about the other characters then I do recommend the book to you. You will not be disappointed.






I also have read "Pollyanna" and "Pollyanna Grows Up" by Eleanor Porter. The reason I chose to read these books was because they were my grandma, Sarah Tuttles favorite books as a child. As I read the books of the little girl that played the 'glad game', I realized how these books shaped my grandmother's life and made her the remarkable person that she was. I am so glad that I read them. I only wish I had read them when I was much younger. Maybe I could have been the same kind of woman that my 'Omi' was.






My next review is not of a book but of a movie. The other night we checked out the movie "The Illusionist". I cannot tell you how much we enjoyed it! It has been a long time since we have both been caught up with a movie so much we wanted to sit through it twice. I could watch it again as a matter of fact. I don't recognize anyone in it except for Jessica Biel but if you want a fun movie to watch then go for this one - it will get you! It is rated PG.

1 comment:

Elise said...

Oh how fun!! I will have to read those books. The Illusionist quickly became one of my favorites after I saw it. It kept me on the edge of my seat! Glad you enjoyed it!!