Friday, March 6, 2009

A Memory

When Clyde and I first married, he decided that our children would never be allowed in our room. I thought that was a strange rule but let it ride. After all we didn't have children yet. I had spent some of my favorite moments growing up and dreaming on my parents bed. My mother was sick quite a bit of the time and when she was out of remission - she was bedridden. If we had not been allowed in her room, we would have never had contact with her. It was bad enough when she was in the hospital for weeks and sometimes months at a time - because in those days children were not allowed to visit the hospital. Then Carianne came along. Her first morning home, Clyde brought her into our room. Not only our room but our bed! He visited with her and I realized he had not remembered his vow from 5 years before. The rule flew out the window from that day on. All their growing up years, the girls would come to us. If I was reading on my bed, sometimes they would read on the bed with me or other times just come and talk. My favorite memory is when everyone crowded in and got 'Morning loves'. That would usually break up when Clyde would scratch the girls cheeks with his whiskers. Good thing we had a king-sized bed then. I am glad that the girls felt close enough to us to talk to us whenever. I hope and pray that their relationship is as open with their children. If not - maybe the grandchildren can call and complain to 'Grandma'. She will tell them what wonderful parents they have and how blessed they are to have them - because that is how she feels.

No comments: