Monday, October 1, 2012

Oh, Holy Words of Truth and Love

For the last month or so, a hymn has been rolling through my head. It is "Oh, Holy Words of Truth and Love" [Hymns 271].  Here are the words that keep going through my head:
Oh, holy words of truth and love 
We hear from day to day,
Revealed to Saints from God above
To guide in heaven's way
Chorus:
Beautiful words of love
Coming from God above,
How sweet, how dear the words we hear!
They're beautiful words of love.

Verse 6
As gems of wisdom, pure and bright
That glow with lustrous ray,
We'll seek to gain these words of light,
Their counsels to obey.
Chorus:

Why the first and last verse of this hymn?  I am not sure - except they are lovely words to live by.  I have been trying to only speak words of love and read only words of love.  I am very picky about the books I read of late, especially since Clyde and I are now preparing for a mission.  I find my daily regime focused on what I need to do for a mission to serve our Heavenly Father.  On those days, I feel so much better.  Before I thought these things were selfish but now I realize I am doing them to honor my Savior and Heavenly Father.  For me - beautiful words of love - are not always the easiest things to spring forth from my mouth.  In my old age I am learning quite often that silence is better than speaking or even better that my eloquent husband needs to speak the beautiful words for both of us.  In this case, I do not mind standing with or even behind my husband.  I am a caustic person by nature.  Beautiful words of love are not a natural part of me.  As always at this time of year when I set my goals - I am setting one to speak more beautiful words of love when I do speak BUT to speak less and listen more.

No comments: