Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Thought for the Day

When I was growing up - my mother always had maids.  When we lived in San Antonio the first time, we had a maid named 'Birdie'.  She really was mostly responsible for watching me at a time when my mom was in bed a lot because of illness and pregnancy.  I came to love Birdie.  I learned a lot about the 'Colored' world because she would take me with her when she went downtown.  Because she would not let me out of  her sight, I had to use the 'colored' water fountains and bathrooms when I was with her.  I didn't know any different and didn't care.  One time when I went with my parents to Joske's (a Texas owned Department store that has now been bought out) in downtown San Antonio, I headed for those restrooms and my mother about had heart failure.  My dad asked her where else would I go when I was with Birdie?  But my most vivid memory of Birdie - is when I would do something that didn't measure up to her standards.  She was a Christian that LOVED Jesus.  She took me to my first Bible school.  Whenever I did something wrong, she would say, "You never go wrong, doing what's right."  I had forgotten  her little adage until late last night when I couldn't sleep and I had a memory roll through my head.  I wish I had remembered that sooner because it would have been a wonderful motto to live by.  But then it isn't too late.

No comments: