Friday, April 22, 2011

My Easter Finery

This picture was taken in San Antonio when I was 5 or 6.  My dress had pink flowers on it and my hat was a pale pink.  My shoes and socks were white.  I also had a pair of white gloves and was in big trouble because I either had gotten them dirty or couldn't find them for this picture.  I remember I looked as pretty as my friend Susan Otto up the street (she was a year or two older than me and I thought the world revolved around her).  I think in fact that her mother went shopping with my mom to get my hat and gloves.  They were Catholic so they had to wear hats but I just remember wanting an Easter bonnet so badly.  When I was little, everyone wore a new hat on Easter Sunday, even to our Sacrament Meeting.  But then in the 1950's, women were still wearing hats.  When they started teasing their hair into the 'Bubble' - it became impractical to wear hats and that started their demise.  The next year when I wore the Easter hat - because I was only allowed to wear it on Easter Sunday - Mom let me wear my hair down.  That was a big deal because Mom never let me wear my hair down except to dry it.  That is probably why as long as I had long hair, I rarely let it go loose - because in my early life, it was bound up somehow.  I usually had a barrette or headband at least to hold it back unless it was a special occasion.

No comments: