Thursday, April 21, 2011

Easter Eggs

This slide was scanned in backwards.  If you can't tell from the the milk carton reading backwards, Marianne and I know because this scene was not on the right of our kitchen in the attic but on the left.  This was in Frankfurt Germany.  We had a very long kitchen with NO counter space - which drove my mother crazy.  She used the kitchen table and had Dad make her a 'counter' to put her appliances on - then covered it all with vinyl tablecloths so she could just wipe it clean.  


For some reason, my father loved to dye eggs.  He would boil at least 4 dozen eggs, sometimes more.  We would be dying eggs forever it seemed.  I guess that is why it seemed like such a chore when our girls were growing up - and why I have no desire to do it now.  I was burned out with it at a very young age.  Then we would have to eat these eggs forever!  We had creamed boiled eggs on toast, deviled eggs and egg salad sandwiches.  About the only way I really enjoy hard boiled eggs now is eggs salad sandwiches - which is the one way that I was served the least growing up.  We had them peeled with just salt and pepper more often.  Marianne and Bob would stick with the dying much longer than I did.  They are also much more artistic than I am and enjoyed mixing and striping the eggs.  I dyed about a dozen solid eggs and was done.  Give me a chocolate marshmallow egg any day in exchange for a hard boiled egg or better yet  - Black licorice jelly beans!

2 comments:

Cari said...

Haha! I still love dying eggs - maybe even more than the kids!

Marianne said...

I still love dying eggs and I love eating hard boiled eggs served any way you serve them.