Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tuesday Book Review


I found a new author for me to read. I was searching the other day because it was raining and I didn't want to walk to the library and pick up the books I had on reserve. For ALL of the mystery authors that I like to read - Dorothy Cannell was also suggested so I downloaded "The Importance of Being Ernestine" on my Kindle and started reading it. She is a British author and really funny. I loved it - so I started reading her books now. Her titles are a play on phrases or titles. The 2 books I currently have from the library are "The Thin Woman" and "Down the Garden Path". I like her books because they are somewhat in the Agatha Christie genre - the villain is not blatantly apparent in the first 2 chapters of the books. Some of the authors I have been reading, I now know so well that I can figure out who did it by chapter 5. Agatha Christie rarely introduced her villain until the end of the book. But Dorothy Cannell has them make appearances - but they are not the main character, so you are not suspicious of them of them. Makes the books a lot of fun to read.


I got Clyde to read the "Hunger Games" and so last night we went out to buy the next in the series "Catching Fire". If we wait for the library copy it could be December of January before we get to read it. We both really enjoyed "Hunger Games" but she really keeps you hanging.


I am currently reading "Forest Born" by Shannon Hale. I love it. I am 3/4 of the way through it and I can tell you right now - if you haven't read it - do. She is back to what she originally intended - at least that is how I feel. This is more in the tradition of "Goose Girl" and "Enna Burning" than her last books. I have enjoyed all of her books but the first two were my favorites. This one is right up there with them.


I finished reading my 'Meg Langslow' series and the 'Quilter's series' of books. I am just about finished with all of the 'China Bayles' books up to date. I decided it isn't good for me to read the 'China Bayles' books because they just make me homesick for the Texas Hill country. I miss the warmth of the weather and the people.


I am thankful for beautiful daughters, for son-in-laws who love their wives and children, for 9 wonderful grandchildren, for being a part of great family and knowing my Heavenly Father loves me.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

I am jealous of your reading. I used to read that much, but now with the help of little Joseph it takes me a month or two to get through one book.

Grandma Bailey said...

There is a time and a season for everything. Right now you are raising your son. You will be surprised how quickly you will be back to reading and doing things you want to do.