Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tuesday Book Review




First of all I have to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY NOAH! Noah is my 5-year-old grandson that lives in Texas. If you ever met Noah, you are probably jealous of me because he is my grandson. I am pretty lucky to be his grandma!
This week I have continued reading my 'Meg Lanslow', Annie and Max Darling' and the 'Quilter's Apprentice' books. I also finished "What Your Childhood Memories Say About You" and all I can say it that the whole time I kept thinking about Heather and her father missing her beanbag toss. Just how has that shaped her into who she has become?!! It is certainly the memory we all know best about Heather. Aside from that I found some things very enlightening but for the most part I just found it another enjoyable Kevin Leman read. If anyone would like it - let me know.
Heidi has been asking me to read "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins for a couple of months. I finally ordered it from the library and literally had to wait for a month to get it - it is that popular. I wasn't that thrilled to read it because of the premise of the book. Young people between the ages of 12-18 are chosen from this country's districts (there are 12) and they are sent out into a game area where they fight for their lives. The one left alive - wins for their district. I do have to say that if you like "Enders Game" you would probably enjoy this but it is much milder. Anyway I was caught up in the book and really quite enjoyed it. I won't be reading it twice but I will be reading the next book and have ordered it. Heaven only knows when I will see it though. So, thanks Heidi for the good suggestion.
One of the things I love about Carolyn Hart's books (Annie and Max Darling are her protagonists) is that she 'name drops' all the way through her books. In other words she suggests other mystery writers and series. Everything from Agatha Christie to the Koko in the "The Cat Who Reads Backwards". You can come up with some pretty fun reads as you go through the books. I downloaded some of the authors on my Kindle and will start on them next. It should be fun. (These books are so old that they were free because their copyrights were up.)
Today I am thankful for raincoats, warm saunas, ham and beans cooking on the stove, a cozy chair to read in and a warm place to live but especially for 9 of the greatest grandchildren that have every been placed on the earth!

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

I want to reread Hunger Games because I went through it so quickly I am sure I missed things. I too was hesitant because of content. (Kind of like Twilight.) It was not a nice premise, but an interesting read. The second book I think is even better.

I really wish it was at least chilly here. I made hot chocolate this morning because it is just that time of year. I was sweating by the time I finished it and sighed. I have the perfect chair and blanket to curl up in, now I just need the weather. (I am pretty sure I can find a book.)

Cari said...

Noah loves you, too!