Monday, January 26, 2009

Monday's Heroines

Todays heroines are Doreen Brugger and Christina Dittmar. Doreen was my voice teacher, friend and confidant for several years before she became my step-mother. Step-mother has a such a negative connotation but in this instance it is not. She is a wonderful addition to the family. As my teacher and friend she was there when I desperately needed a shoulder to cry on. She laughed with me and literally let me cry on her shoulder as I watched my mother die and couldn't be with my oldest daughter for the birth of our first grandchild. She was there for me when I found out I had a lump in my breast just a week before Heidi's wedding and let me rant and rave about that. When Dad said he was marrying Doreen, I was thrilled. I knew he needed her and I hoped they would be happy. They seem to be very in love and very happy together. I can't ask for more than that. Doreen is a very blessed addition to our family and the best thing I can say about her is that she loves my father.

I am very fortunate with my sister's daughters in that they are really extensions to my own family. I love them as much as my own daughters. Christina is my sister's youngest daughter. I was at my sister's house when Marianne kept saying she just didn't feel good. My friend Lynda Havard said, "I think you're pregnant." Marianne said she didn't think she could be. Happily she was pregnant with our Christina. She has been a joy from day one! One of my most fun memories of Christina was the day I had bought the soundtrack from the musical "The Secret Garden". Christina might have been 4 but not much older. I had the CD in the car and she was riding with me. All of the sudden she started singing along with the music. I asked her if she had ever heard the music before. She said no but it was the way the music was supposed to go. Not only is Christina musical she is kind and beautiful. I would love to live close to my family and have everyone within walking distance. This includes our daughter and their families, my sister and her husband and their daughter's and son-in-law. Since we live in the real world, I am content with email and telephone calls. Christina is the kind of teenage daughter that every mother dreams of.

No comments: