Friday, January 23, 2009

A Memory

I have been reading several biographies lately and the thing that has struck me is how important it is for a child to spend one on one time with their Dad. One of my most favorite memories is going to Berlin, Germany for several days with just Dad, Grandma and Grandpa Brugger. We stayed at the Berlin, Hilton. I am sure the trip had been planned for a long time and Mom must not have been able to make it. I was only 10 and yet I was allowed to go and spend this time as an adult with my father and grandparents. I had to be on my best behavior because Grandma Brugger didn't allow anything else but I had the most wonderful time because I was with my dad. We went to the Berlin Zoo and stood and watched goats run up and down a 'mountain' for quite a long time. They were so much fun to watch that I know there were some incredible sights to see in the zoo (the European zoos were incredible) but all I remember were those funny goats. We saw the sights and went to the 'Wall'. I felt a little bit afraid the whole time because we were so close to the Berlin Wall and yet I knew I was safe because I was with my dad. It was a wonderful trip and as it turned out the first of many.

We each have times that are special with our parents. I loved being with my 'very own special father' whenever I got the chance. My father labeled himself 'my very own special father' when I was as Senior in High School and dating someone that I wasn't sure I wanted to date anymore so I was fasting about it. As it turned out I kept dating him but broke up with him just before I left for Utah. He was the whole reason I ended up coming home for Christmas and I met my future husband. If mom had believed me when I kept telling her I had not said I would marry the guy, I would not have met Clyde until much later - if ever. So I guess things worked out for the best.

My father was very supportive as I struggled in 9th grade - going to a seminary class outside of our ward. It was a class that did not want me and even the teacher ostracized me. But Dad would drive me faithfully every day. I went because I knew that at the end of the class Dad would be there and life would be good. Fortunately, though I didn't know it at the time, we were moved from there to a place that increased my testimony and started me on a better path with friends that would be there for me to this day. Almost every move we made from the time I was in the 9th grade on was because of me. Yes, they benefited Dad's career and helped others but the Lord was literally lifting me out of bad situations and putting me in better ones so I would be worthy to marry in the temple when the time came. He protected and blessed me more than I deserved. I know that is because of the prayers of my parents. I understand that now better than ever.