Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Jason F. Wright and Stephenie Meyer

This isn't as much a book review as a post about two of my current favorite authors. I have read The Wednesday Letters and went to the library and checked out Christmas Jars (because everyone knows that I love Christmas) and I am hooked. Jason Wright is going to have to go long and far not not remain on my favorite list for a long time. Plus the fact that he picked Virgina, my husbands birth state, to currently reside in - well what more is there to like! He is living where Clydes family pretty much originated from before they moved out to Danville. I think that is one of the reasons I loved The Wednesday Letters so much - because I knew where it was and though I had never personally been to Woodstock - I had been to enough of the small towns in Virginia doing genealogy - that I knew what Woodstock looked like and felt like so that made the book more fun. The sisters in our ward that went to Time Our for Women loved his lecture last year here in New England. They are disappointed there isn't a Time Out for Women close by this year. They were extremely impressed when he commented last week on my blog - actually so was I!

I have also decided that no matter what Stephenie Meyer puts her hand to - I like. I am just about finished with The Host and as with the Twilight series - I cannot put it down. So to me that is obviously the mark of someone I will read in the years to come. Is this loyalty because they are LDS? No. I didn't know Jason Wright was a member of the Church until I had finished The Wednesday Letters. I like that the books are well written. I will read a well written book no matter who the author is - that is why I love to read. That is why I keep going back to Taylor Caldwell and some of my favorites from years gone by. Few authors know how to tell a good story anymore without muddying it up with sex and gore. Both of these authors do.

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

I like both authors, too. I think that because they are LDS I know I don't have to worry about rough language or other things that would be offensive. Wherever I go hook people on Stephenie Meyer. Have you tried Fablehaven yet? Carianne, Andy and I both really enjoy the series.

Genevieve said...

Ohhh I just found your blog, very fun!! We miss our Newport ward family and were so grateful for all your support through the pregnancy and first few months of the twins lives.