Monday, November 17, 2008

My Hero

I know I have written about my dad before but I had to write again this week because last week was his birthday. I can honestly say that my father has been my hero longer than any person on this earth. I have hero worshipped him from the moment I laid eyes on him. How do I know? Because I can't imagine my feelings were any different then than they are now - 55+ years later. My earliest memory of my dad is seeing the light go on in the morning. That was my signal that he needed me to go and help him study. To this day, when we are visiting and I see the light go on in the morning, I still have the urge to go and just be with Dad. It was my time to curl up on his lap and fall back to sleep but it was my special time with Dad.

We have had a lot times when we have just been the two of us. I went to Berlin, Germany with Dad, and Grandma and Grandpa Brugger. Mom was too sick to go and they had already made the reservations. Dad took me and I felt so grown up. I wasn't even 10 yet. That was my longest trip alone with Dad but it was so memorable.

When we were living in Denver, in order for me to attend Seminary before school, I had to attend another ward's. Dad and I drove together every morning and then onto Smiley Jr. High School. I loved that time with Dad. It was quite a miserable school experience (and seminary experience too) but I loved every morning with Dad.

I desperately missed Dad when he was in Korea. Mom and I went through that phase that many mothers and daughters go through where they don't get along. I am not sure I did it because I thought I should or we were like oil and water right then because we are really so much alike. I hope it is because we are so much alike. At that this point in my life I would find that a wonderful compliment.

When Dad came home, whenever Dad had a speaking assignment with the High Council or in the Stake Presidency, I would tag along. I met a lot of wonderful people in the stake that way and had more one on one time with Dad.

I guess the funniest one on one time I had with Dad was when Clyde and I lived in El Paso. I was all by myself and really sick with the flu. Dad was concerned that I was that sick and alone (Clyde was going to be gone for over a month). He had me fly to San Antonio and stay. After a couple of days I was not getting better. I was constantly queasy. Finally he took me to Brook Army Medical Center and under the name of my brother, Robert Maynard Brugger, they ran a pregnancy test. It turned out I was pregnant and put on bed rest because I was high risk. Marianne was graduating from BYU and so I was all alone in Mom and Dad's house for a couple of weeks (they did have a friend of mine come and stay nights in case something happened to me or the pregnancy.) I finally left 4 months later when they gave me the all clear and every one was confident I was not going to miscarry that pregnancy. I didn't and have Carianne to show for it.

The last one 0n one time Dad and I really had was the day we went and picked up Doreen's wedding ring set. I am so happy for Dad and Doreen and that they have each other. It hurts so much to think that I cannot just pop over and spend the day with my dad. But no matter what, he will always be my greatest hero. I guess every little girl hero worships their father to some extent and they should. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father saw fit to send me as a daughter to my father.

2 comments:

JJthe1st said...

What sweet memories...

Heidi Noel said...

I am glad that he is my Popi, too.