Thursday, November 6, 2008

I Almost Didn't Get to Vote

Can you imagine what it is like to show up to vote - knowing you are registered and be told you aren't there? To be told you can't vote? That happened to me. I have voted absentee for the last two elections because of my traveling to Vegas 2 years ago to be with Heather and our Girls' gathering last March so I missed the Rhode Island Primary. I went and gave my name and was not to be found. Clyde's name was there. I was told I could vote for the President but nothing else. There were some local issues that I was quite passionate about that I wanted to vote on even more than president - believe it or not. So I protested and said I had to be somewhere in the system. For sympathy and because I was afraid I would be standing in lines for a while I did bring my cane (turned out to be a good thing for a number of reasons). They started looking for me - offered me chairs and eventually found me at #38 and not at 26 Harbor Village. They had moved Clyde but not me. By moving we had moved precincts. I tried to let them let me go two blocks over to the library and vote but NO! I had to fill out paperwork and forms galore. Finally 45 minutes after Clyde finished voting I was finally able to get in line to vote. Was it worth it? Yes. But it was a very weird exprience. Hopefully next time I will vote without a glitch (or absentee again).

No comments: