Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My Mother

All day long yesterday I was kind of in a blue funk. I really didn't know why but I was just a little depressed all day. I also kept thinking about my mother. Now I do think about Mom quite often but not like yesterday. Then last night in the middle of the night it hit me. Mom would have been 80 years old yesterday. I guess sub-consciously I was missing her on her birthday. The funny thing about the whole thing is that Clyde brought me flowers when he came home from work just out of the blue. We have a favorite quote from the movie 'Finding Forrester' that goes "An unexpected gift at and an unexpected time..." so whenever we do something like this that is what we quote. Clyde walked in the door last night quoting that with the flowers in his hand. That did lift my spirits immeasurably to receive such a beautiful bouquet of flowers. That is another plus of living here in Rhode Island. There are flowers sold everywhere from the street corners to the grocery stores and for a very reasonable price. This bouquet is in the largest vase I own and I know it didn't cost that much (Clyde loves me but he is not extravagant).

I am so glad that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am grateful that I am sealed to my parents. I do have an incredible mother, who overcame many great obstacles in her life because of her illnesses. When our daughters' were little she was a fantastic grandmother to them and I have always been grateful that she had the health then to spoil her granddaughters. The last few years of her life were not that great but she has more than made up for that now. I know what she watches over her great-grandchildren and is their guardian angel. Too many 'spooky' coincidences have happened with our grandchildren that have her mark all over them. She is here and taking care of her family still. I am blessed to have her help since I cannot be there.

3 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

I was actually laying (or is it lying?) in bed last night and could smell Grandma. It was very weird and made me teary eyed. I wish my kids could have know her in this life. Anneke would have loved her pink and gold stuff.

Cari said...

I miss her all the time. We were so blessed to have her.

Heather said...

It was so strange I have been missing her all week. Bella was asking me about her the other day as she often does. I use to watch Bella with Brandon's grandmothers and ache that she never knew Grandma. She as an amazing Grandma and I have so many wonderful memories of her. I must admit that when I am in the BX I stop by and smell her perfume every now and then just to think about her.