Monday, July 14, 2008

Newport Ward

The good thing about living in Rhode Island is we live in great ward. I have lived in very few wards as friendly as this one or as solicitous. People truly care and watch over each other. I love that about the ward members here. In fact I am probably the slacker in the bunch (which is not a very good pronouncement from the bishop's wife). I used to hate Sundays. When our daughters were growing up and especially when they are little and I had to get them ready to go to Church all by myself - Sundays were my least favorite day of the week. It has only been in the last few years that I have gotten over that. In fact these are the reasons I like Sundays and especially Sundays in Newport.
1. Because Bishopric meeting is at 7:20 a.m we are in the building by 7:15. It gives me time to do genealogy and get things ready for the Sabbath (like the calendar on the bulletin board and sometimes clean up the kitchen) before Church starts (at 9:30).
2. We are the only ward that meets in our building so we don't have to worry about hurrying out afterwards. If something is left on my desk in the family history center it will be there on Wednesday when I come in to open the library in the evening.
3. I love feeding the military students every week. I must admit I felt a bit angry when the bishopric before this current one took it from my hands solely and made it a Relief Society activity. I loved doing it all on my own. However when I started doing it there were 6 students. Yesterday we fed 22. It does become a bit of a burden when you are doing that week after week. And it is a blessing to those that do help.
4. Since I have not been able to get around for the last few months I am astonished at the number of people that have offered to get me to appointments and take me places. It hasn't been just to be nice. The offers have come repeatedly from the same people. I have been amazed.
5. Our Sacrament Meetings are very spiritual and it isn't the same people speaking every week. Our bishopric goes out of its way to make sure that everyone gets a turn speaking - even the military students that are here for a few months. Our pool is not very big and so pretty much every one gets a chance at some point to speak while they are here no matter how short their time. Two weeks ago the inactive son of the Second Counselor in the bishopric spoke and did an amazing job. He has been to Church for 3 weeks now

These are just a few of the reasons I love this ward and why it makes living here in Rhode Island a wonderful experience. In truth the only downer to being here is the family members are so far away. It does help that the Davis Family is now an easy day's drive. For that I am grateful.

1 comment:

Heidi Noel said...

I loved our ward in Boulder. Living outside Utah makes a difference, I think. People don't take the membership for granted, I guess.