Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Phases of our Lives

The birth of Dutch has made me think about each of my daughters' births. When Carianne was born a friend gave me this poem. I wanted to cross stitch and frame it on the wall but I lost it for years. I just found it again a few years ago. In tribute to my newest grandchild I print it here

"Plastic Little Children"
~ Unknown ~

Plastic little children,
Made of Heaven's clay,
Oh Father, give us vision
To mold them right this day.

Potential gods in miniature,
We must have help from Thee,
For how they're fashioned here today,
Will endure through all eternity.

I hear people my age that regret how they rushed through their childrens' childhood. I have to say that I don't have that regret. I would remind myself daily - just after I said my morning prayers - that this day was unique and I needed to live that day. I never dreamed about when you were older and the what ifs. I knew they would come all too quickly. For many people I am way too laid back but in this case I am grateful for that quality. With children there is nothing better. I can tell you when I was testy and tended to lose my temper more quickly - exactly what time of the month that fell. Unfortunately for me that was more often than most women. If there was a regret that would be it. I didn't understand how much my hormones were in control of me.

I do love being a grandmother. I love being the mother of 4 of the most amazing mothers on the earth right now. You have no idea how proud I am of you. Your dad and I know you and your spouses are much better parents than we are and we are proud of that fact. We don't know what we did right but whatever it was it was really right! We couldn't be more blessed.

No comments: