Saturday, October 25, 2014

A look back at the week

Yesterday Vanessa Venn came in to the archives for a tutoring session by Daniel.  She started as an intern just after we got here last November and we just fell in love with her.  She left in April for a new job and a new career.  We see her periodically and catch up.  She didn't have a lot of time to visit yesterday and she said we had plenty of time to catch up in the future.  I said we had until April and then we were off.  Vanessa was shocked.  She had thought that this was a long term commitment.  She was surprised that we would leave all of this but we explained that our term was only 18 months and then back to a family that needed us right now.  I had never considered that some people think we are here to stay.

At Bo's birthday, Lars asked what it meant to ride shotgun.  I told him it was from the old west when the driver had a man with a shotgun that was loaded sit behind him while they traveled, for protection.  Yesterday, they were pushing the cart to community lunch and Bo yelled - 'I am walking shotgun to Lars and the lunch cart'.  Clyde and I both busted up laughing.

Tuesday Clyde and I went in for community lunch - as usual - and no one was there.  Turned out that while we were sick, they changed the day to Friday and didn't tell us.  By the time we knew about it yesterday - we had already eaten lunch.  We will now go every other week.

I guess the dark and dreary days are here.  The heater is on in the bedroom and needs to be.  Soups and stews are sounding better and better for supper.  Yesterday Lars said he is now drinking herbal tea because it warms you up better than coffee.  I noticed that the 'tea' drawer was getting depleted quickly yesterday.  Time for everyone to contribute some new boxes.  I bring chamomile and fruit herbal teas from Celestial Seasons.  The thing that surprises me the most is that mine go quickly along with the peppermint tea.

For those of you that don't know - my father fell last Tuesday and has some broken ribs and cracked vertebrae.  He is home.  Please keep he and Doreen in your prayers.

No comments: