Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tuesday Trivia

Those who know me well, know I am a marvel with trivial information.  I thought I would share some of my wealth of trivial knowledge with you on occasion on Tuesdays.  So here goes.

My brother, sister and I grew up as children in the US Army.  We were dependents but more affectionately known as Army BRATS.  For the longest time I wondered what BRAT meant and then I found out.  It is actually quite funny because it doesn't fit.  It stands for British Regiment Attached Traveler.  Apparently this term has been used so long in English speaking military groups that people had forgotten what it stood for and so it slid from the British culture into the US culture without a thought.  I know that people that grow up as military BRATS tend to be a loyal group and we really are kind of our own sub-culture.  It has been almost 40 years since I lived that life style and yet I still understand the thought processes of our young people that come through our ward, their fears and how they know they have to sink or swim every duty station.  Not everyone understands a BRAT.  But for some reason BRATS understand each other in a way no one else can.

No comments: