Thursday, January 6, 2011

Home Again, Home Again...

 I apologize up front for this lengthy blog.  I had made a pledge to myself to keep them short this year.  Unfortunately there is no other way today.  We are back home in Middletown, Rhode Island once more.  We got on the plane and looked across the aisle and a sweet young family from our ward - the Harpels - were sitting there.  They were coming home from California.  We have gotten quite close to them and his parents because his parents live in Connecticut, where our stake center is.  It was quite fun to be greeted by a friendly face at the airport and get a big hug on our arrival from Connecticut Harpel family!  Our flight was  textbook perfect - left on time, arrived on time.  Our suitcases were the first ones off the plane and we were home literally 40 minutes after we left the plane.  It was because of the great prayers of our grandchildren and daughter - I know it and I will put the praise where it belongs.  It was hard to leave the Bahlmann family.  We had a great time with them.  Mallory is a joy and this time Luke warmed up to us immediately so we had a great time with the whole family all along.  Plus we got to see the Davis family and that was just wonderful.  I will post pictures tomorrow but right now I am playing 'catch up'.  


I read 4 books on the plane but one just keeps haunting me.  It was titled "Unwrapping Christmas" by Lori Copeland.  It was basically my autobiography at one time in my life.  This woman was so busy with church and her children's school's charitable activities that she didn't have time for her family.  She didn't know how to say "No".  Finally she fell down on Christmas Eve and couldn't perform her family responsibility and the extended family had to step in.  The world didn't stop.  It took a nervous breakdown for me to realize that the world could go on without me and that my family and marriage were the number 1 priority in my life.  Up to that point I thought I was being so benevolent when what I was really being was a martyr - not to the outside world - just to my family.  I almost lost a daughter during this time.  Thankfully the Lord has given me a second chance with her.  It was just a reminder that the Lord and family are always our first priority.  My daughters are far better mothers than I ever was.  It makes me proud.

No comments: