Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tuesday Book Review

I really have nothing new to report on. I have continued on my quest of reading the Aunt Dimity books and the "Quilter's Apprentice" books in order. I am also reading the 'Meg Lanslow' series of books by Donna Andrews and enjoying those along with finally getting "A Well of Lost Plots" by Jasper Fforde (after a 3 week wait!) which I am still reading. I tried reading "The Briar King". I think the author Greg Keyes was trying to pattern his books after Tolkiens trilogy. I kept trying and trying to read the book and finally gave up after 150 pages. The plots were confusing and you never knew quite where you were. Tolkien is plodding at times but at least you know where you are and what the plot line is - he constantly reminds you. Greg Keyes assumes you can read his mind.

On a fun note I started reading the Anne of Green Gables series again. I have read the first two books and I am loving it. When I downloaded the set on my Kindle I even got the obscure Lucy Maud Montgomery books (the Avonlea tales) so this will be a fun series of books to read. As I was reading "Anne of Green Gables", I remembered the first time I read the book. I was living in Germany the first time and we lived in the 3 bedroom apartment on Platenstrasse. Marianne and I had bunkbeds and I remember laying on the bunkbed reading it. I knew there were other books but could never find them. The interesting thing is - Anne as I imagined her was Megan Follows and Dianna was also portrayed exactly right. The also setting was exactly right. Clyde said we should take a trip to Prince Edward Island. I told him if we did, we could never tell the girls we went or we would have to take them all - one or the other. So which will it be? It is a days drive from here.

If anyone wants enlightenment on something I am reading - just ask but since most of these are repeats, you know I have loved these books and I am just re-reading for the fun of it. Even with going to the temple on Friday and having a very busy Thursday, I read 10 books last week - so it was a good week.

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

Hey lady, we have been worried about you. No blogs in over 2 weeks. Plus you have missed important blogs I have written like the advent of your grandchildren's blog.

Grandma Bailey said...

Dad and I have been really sick and very jet-lagged from our trip. It has been a rough week. Hopefully we are back on track.