Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tuesday Book Reviews

I have read so many books over the last few weeks that I will just do the highlights. I did read Jennifer Chiaverini's newest book "The Lost Quilt". This is actually a follow-up book to her novel "The Runaway Quilt" about the Underground Railroad just before the Civil War. This book tells the story of 'Joanna' and what happened after she was sent back to her master. As always the story was masterfully told. I am still reading all of the other 'Quilt' books in order and enjoying them.

I am just about finished with the 'Aunt Dimity' books. I enjoy them very much and hadn't realized that there were several that I had missed in the series - so it has been fun to read it through.

I am also still reading the 'Meg Langslow' series by Donna Andrews and enjoying that one, along with the 'Thursday Next' series by Jasper Fforde. Plus I am reading all of the "Anne of Green Gables" books and enjoying those.

The other day I was wandering around the library and found a new series I started by Susan Wittig Albert. If you recall I told you about a series of Beatrix Potter mysteries by this author that Pam and I have read and enjoyed. She has also written series with a protaganist named 'China Bayles.' What is particularly fun about this series of books is that they are based in a fictitious town somewhere between Kerrville, Canyon Lake, Austin , San Antonio and New Braunfels. As I triangulate that puts it around Johnson City but in this instance it called Pecan Springs on the Pecan River. It is the county seat and the author admits this is all fictitious - so don't try and find it on the map or in the Texas Hill Country. What I really love is how the author got the Texas twang in print. Anyway - I couldn't decide if I loved the story for setting or because of the story. I was talking with Sister Dixie Wood and she said she has no attatchment to Texas and she had read them all and ejoyed them - so maybe I would have put them down and walked away if they hadn't had a good storyline to pull me in.

I am thankful for a library system that lets me order the books I want, that my husband is feeling better, authors that write good books and computers so I can stay close to family.

No comments: