Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday's Heroes

My heroes today are Cassidy and Christine Childs. We have pretty much loved them since the minute they showed up in the ward last year. Cassidy is cousin to Loren and Melinda Steck. We are not sure how the relationship runs but we do know that anyone that is related to that couple has to be wonderful and Christine and Cassidy are. They are the parents of two beautiful little girls, Grace (age 4) and Sophie (age 19 months). The girls have adopted us as their grandparents. This morning while Clyde was conducting Sacrament Meeting, Sophie yelled, "There's Grandpa!" It made me laugh. Then when I got up to lead the music she waved at me and said, "Hi Grandma." This would not have been bad except they were sitting in the back on the opposite side of the Church from where I was standing. Only a few people that know about our relationship understood what she was saying. Most everyone else was baffled because they know her grandparents are all in Utah.

Christine has been the ward hairdresser for the last 2 years. She has just lately had to give it up because she had not intended to have it go full time (plus a few people had their children trashing her house and not offer to help clean up). It will be hard for me to go back to my old hairstylist but I understand. Christine is also one of the counselors in the Young Women and does an amazing job. The YW love her and admire her. The most wonderful thing is they want to be just like her when the grow up - which is a wonderful aspiration. She is wonderful wife, mother and Church member.

I must admit that I don't know Cassidy as well as Christine but he is every bit as wonderful as his wife. He is currently in the Coast Guard and served a mission in Venezuela. They were married in the temple and are the kind of couple that you have no problem asking to speak about temple marriage or family unity. They are an amazing example of what young couples in the gospel should be like. I am so glad we have had the opportunity of sharing time and a close friendship with this young family.

No comments: