Monday, April 27, 2009

Monday's Hero


I have been puzzling over which of my many heroes and heroines to do today but finally decided. My hero today is my husband, Clyde L. Bailey, III. Why did I pick him? Actually for a variety of reasons. Clyde and I have been married for 36 years and with his help, we raised four beautiful daughters that have become incredible wives and mothers. He is also the bishop of our Newport Ward. This is something at which he is doing a wonderful job. I know just a thimbleful of the problems that go on in people's lives in the ward. For the longest time (actually until it happened) I was worried that if he became a bishop, he would stew about the problems until he was sick. The Lord has blessed him to keep the problems of the ward at the Church and live the rest of his life as normally as possible. I am constantly hearing from ward members about how much he has helped them. The thing is - I haven't even known they were visiting him for counseling and advice. [My philosphy is a lot like Schultz on Hogan's Heroes - I know nothing! It makes life easier as the bishop's wife.] Clyde has always been a good provider. He has become a loving and attentive husband and father. The best role he plays though it that of grandfather. We now have 9 grandchildren. We dote on all 9! I never thought it was possible for us to love these spirits so fiercely but we both do. Our greatest desire is to be able to retire close to some of our grandchildren at least and be there for them like my grandparents were there for me. It is frustrating to Clyde that he has no where to do wood working. He is constantly coming up with ideas he would like to build for the grandchildren. But in this tiny apartment with no outside space of our own - that is almost impossible. Plus we have to fly to visit most of our family members and that makes it doubly impossible to bring items other than small gifts to them. I get upset occasionally because I desperately want to be by family. But Clyde keeps me anchored. Apparently we have a mission here in Rhode Island that we have not completed yet. I am grateful for Clyde's faith and strength in the Gospel. I can occasionally ride with him on his shirtails on days I just don't care anymore. Fortunately those days are few and far between now.
When I had my knee surgery last September, Clyde was so attentive and caring. A sister in the ward told me that it made him love me more because he could do service for me where I have usually given the most service to him. Whenever I have a DR's appointment that I don't want to go to alone - Clyde takes me. There are places that I still have a hard time getting to. That is because Clyde usually drives me everywhere. For the last 6 years I have had a chauffeur for most of my needs. I love that. It gives us time together and for that I am grateful. I love him very much and I am proud that he is my hero - not just today but always.

5 comments:

Andy said...

Yeah, he's a good guy. I remember when Heidi and I came over to tell you about our big decision. He was sitting on the couch holding his knees up to his chest, rocking back and forth like a kid about to get a present. I think it scared me more than if he had had a shotgun in his hand. I guess it made me afraid that at some point he would be less excited than he was at that point.
It's gratifying how easily you and he have accepted me and made me grow, both through your own efforts and the way Heidi has been raised to expect nothing but the best from me.
Hoping to see you soon (though I don't know when).

Holly said...

I think you picked a wonderful hero. We love Clyde too, and always will.

Great pic too! :)

Heidi Noel said...

I am such a baby. That made me cry. He is my hero, too. Anneke talks about her grandpa a lot and Marcus really wants to visit you guys. We don't know where we will be when Andy is done with his PhD, but we are hoping it is close to MY family for once.

Heather said...

I still remember the moment I realized how much Daddy loved you. I was a freshman in Collage and you where having a very bad day. I called Daddy at work to let him know and said to stay with you and that he would be right home. He dropped everything and came home to take care of you. I remember Daddy holding you while you sat on the corner of your bed and as I walked out of the room I was amazed by how much he loved you. I knew right then and there that he would do anything for you!

ChristinaS said...

How awesome! What a fantastic pick.. I knew when Clyde came into my dad's home and used to talk about you all the time. You were truly missed. Then when you finally came, the whole world lifted off his shoulders. it was awesome!
My hubby is cool like that. He jokes with me sometimes, how he would be fine with out me and he can do so much with out me. But when it comes down to , he is right there, come on lets go, come with me, can you help me please. They may be able to do alot alone, but they value the idea of a loved one doing it with or for them.
It makes you feel so special!