Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Book Review




Last week I missed doing the book review because I was so sick with my annual spring cold that I couldn't wake up long enough to even look at the computer. Yesterday life just got in the way. I am doing a bunch of books actually but most of the books are by Patricia Briggs. The covers do not do the books justice. Because I have been spending so much money 'buying' books for my Kindle, I decided it was time to start getting a few free books. This week I am going to read nothing but free books. That task was made super easy when I found "The Enchanted April".
Those people who know me really well know that my two most favortie movies are "The Bishop''s Wife" and "Enchanted April". I just found out that "Enchanted April" is being released on DVD in May. It will be released as full price DVD ($22) but it will be worth every penny. My old video that I have had since the early 1990's is very worn out because I watch it a couple of times a year. I love the story on all sorts of levels. It is story of love, both romantic and the love of friendship. It is the story of finding love and it is set in an absolutely beautiful seaside in Italy. When I read the book everything was word for word the movie! The only difference was the description of the characters. Mrs Fisher was absolutely right on. Lady Caroline is described as blonde and she was portrayed by an actress that was dark. Lotty too was described as light almost 'ginger haired' and she was portrayed by and acress with dark hair. Rose was described as dark and she was the light one. Those were the only differences. I think they must have found Sal Salvatore castle to film the movie because the description of the castle was exactly the same. The thing the book gave me was what the people were thinking. There are a lot scenes in the movie where the actors are just sitting or laying in the sun and you can somewhat surmise what they are thinking but this gave me the true background information. The book has been out of print for years but I noticed now that the movie is coming out on DVD that book is finally being republished. I have not had such a good time reading a book for a long time!
Our daughter Heather has an e-reader too. Hers is a B-book (we are not compatible to share) so she is constantly reading books now. She is the one that told me I had to read "Moon Called" by Patricia Briggs. Heather and I are so much alike - we both get caught up with an author and have to read everything they have written. Well "Moon Called" starts what is called the 'Mercy Thompson' series of Patricia Briggs. The picture above is supposed to be of Mercy. In the book is says she has one tattoo of a "small coyote paw..." Every cover I see of her, she is scantily clad and is covered with tattoos which is just not Mercy Thompson. She wears over-sized t-shirts and bluejeans - not the attire of the covers. Oh well, the covers are what sell the books. The books are about werewolves and vampires. Mercy is not either - she is a walker. Some people would call her a shapeshifter but the only shape she can shift into is a coyote. She gets into all kinds of adventures and there is always an underlying mystery in the book. Patricia Briggs writes really well and I have been entranced by the 4 books of hers that I have read and the short story. The thing I love is there is no language to speak of and no explicit sex. There are the sexual overtones of romance and plot line but the author leaves everything up to your imagination. I am going to download some more of her books as soon as get through my 'free' week.

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

Andy was interested in those books until he saw the covers. He is willing to give them a try now that he knows the covers don't necessarily reflect the book.

Cari said...

That's awesome about enchanted april. Are you enjoying the cover? Does it work?