Monday, December 22, 2008

Monday's Hero

I seriously thought about writing about Santa Claus today but decided that I had better write about someone that is in my everyday life. Today my heroine is Karyn Halverson. She is the mother to my 'adopted grandchildren' and an Army wife. Her husband has served tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. Scott was a bishop in Germany while he was deployed to Afghanistan, so Karyn was the bishop's wife with a long-distance bishop. That must have been really hard. Plus it was a bi-lingual ward to boot! Karyn is one of those people that can do anything. I am sure there are times she wishes she would say no but she doesn't and she is there for everything. She supports her 3 children in all of their extra-curricular activities and then fulfills her Church responsiblities. I know for a fact her family comes first in her life. They are very secure in their love from her. She is a stand-in babysitter for mother's that need to fulfill responsibilities but have little ones that need to stay home. Since the minute Karyn has walked into the Newport Ward she has been my hero. I have learned a lot from her plus we have a lot in common because of our mutual long stays in Germany. We both have white lights on our Christmas trees, we each have an Advent Krantz (but she makes hers each year out of an evergreen wreath) and we celebrate St. Nicholas Day with our family. These are traditions that will go on and on in both our families. Plus we both believe in Santa Claus.

No comments: