Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Aebleskivers, Advent and Christmas Games

Last night we went over to the Halversons to make Aebleskivers. It turned out that one of the other families that were there, the mother, Nicole, had grown up having Aebleskivers at her grandmother's house in Manti at holidays. She was in tears as she helped me make them because it brought back such wonderful memories. The other fun thing about Nicole and her family and the Halverson's is that we all celebrate Advent. Nicole served her mission in Austria plus her family is German. Her father still has family in Germany. The Halverson's have been back from Germany 18 months now. A family the Halverson's knew really well over there, sent them a 'care' package of Lebkucken, Stollen and a variety of Haribo candies. I ended up with one of the loaves of Stollen and I am in heaven. I had a cup of Ovaltine and a piece of Stollen and it was wonderful this morning (I know I am weird, but it is a wonderful part of my memories).

I should say something about the dynamics of the group that was there last night. There was Clyde and me - the grandparents. The Halverson's and Jubecks are early 40's and late 30's with their children from 8-14. Then there was the Child family. Cassidy and Christine are Pam and Chris' age. They had their two daughters, 4 and 14 months. After everyone filled up on Aebleskivers, hot chocolate or juice and sausages, we then played the Christmas game that my sister, Marianne has been perfecting for the last 3 or 4 years. We played it for about an hour and laughed so hard our sides hurt by the time we finished. It was a very fun evening. With the singing, the scriptures and the thoughtful questions in the game it really made you think about what Christmas is about. Then there were silly parts that broke the more serious things up. It was a wonderful evening. To make matters even better, I kept having deja' vu the whole evening, so I knew I was supposed to be there and we were doing what we were supposed to be doing. It was wonderful

I am grateful for the love of our Savior and a kind and loving Heavenly Father, who sent His Son to earth. We have much to be grateful for at this season of the year. May the Lord bless all of you.

No comments: