Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Questions

I liked this on Heidi's blog so I am answering her questions - though many answers are the same as hers.

1. Gift wrap or gift bags? - It really depends on the gift. Wrapping is so much more fun but the odd sized gift really fits better in a bag.
2. Real tree or artificial ? - I am very allergic to pine trees so it has to be an artificial.
3. When do you put up the tree? Tradition in our family was to put the tree up right after Thanksgiving or on Heidi's birthday. This year will be latest I have put the tree up in almost 30 years.
4. Do you like eggnog? Yes but it has to be cut - 1/3 eggnog to 2/3 milk. My Aunt Norma has a fabulous recipe that I have used a couple of times with eggnog and ice cream and whole cream - not fattening at all but OH SO GOOD!
5. Favorite gift as a child? A little doll that I still have. I named her Baby Carrie originally but that upset my grandmother (Carrie Myrl). She went by Myrl and hated the name Carrie. For some reason my mother wasn't too thrilled with the name either. I ended up calling her Dolly. I obviously still love the name Carrie because I would never have named our oldest daughter that if I hadn't thought it was a beautiful name.
6. Hardest person to buy for? My parents - especially my dad and my husband.
7. Easiest person to buy for? I will lump that into all of my grandchildren and then my daughters'.
8. Do I have a Nativity Scene? Several that I keep up all year and several more that come out just at Christmas.
9. Mail or email Christmas cards? Both
10. Worst Gift you ever received? It's Christmas - there can't be a bad gift at Christmas! Coal is a good gift at Christmas time.
11. Favorite Christmas Movie? My all time favorite movie is the "Bishop's Wife" which is a great Christmas movie. I love the Muppet Christmas Carol, a Christmas Visitor (which has been renamed) and others.
12. Have you ever recycled a Christmas Gift? Yes, but not at Christmas time and only once that I can think of.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? In January.
14. Favorite things to eat for lunch on Christmas? Ham, potato casserole and exotic fruit salad.
15. Lights on tree? Yes - white
16 - Favorite Christmas Carol? - A German Carol, "Ihr Kinderlein Kommet" - loosely translated it means, Oh Come Little Children. That is my most favorite carol and then the others - any other Christmas Carol is #2.
17. Travel or stay at home for Christmas? For several years we traveled at Christmas and then my husband was called as bishop of our ward. Now we stay at home because of the needs of the people and tithing settlement. It is kind of bittersweet. I love being with the ward members but I desperately miss the family and having Christmas with grandchildren.
18 - Can you name Santa's reindeer? Yes and thanks to having watched and having family members be in the play 'Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer', I can even name lesser reindeer. Even know which one is the 'Baptist!'
19. Angel or star for your tree topper? My tree topper is either a snowflake or a Santa.
20. Open presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? If we knew the girls' were getting pajamas then they opened those on Christmas Eve. All others were opened on Christmas morning.
21. Most annoying thing about this time of year? The crowds! It also seems to be a time when people blatantly say, "Gimme" as if they deserve something for nothing. I am not talking about Salvation Army but others. I cannot believe the people that call or come to the door asking for stuff during this season. It just aggravates me because about 90% of the time they are scams and not really who they are representing. Did you know that most charities do not solicit during this time of year because they know they will probably be turned down? If someone calls you or comes to your door - call the charity they are representing (the headquarters) and find out if they are legit. 'Tis the Season for scamming and stealing.
22. Favorite ornament? Oh, Wow! I have a tree of them. I love my Santa ornaments and my ornaments from Germany. I love my Hummel ornaments. I love my ornaments and I can't choose one over the other.
23. Favorite Christmas Dinner? Ham, rolls, potato casserole, exotic fruit salad
24. Favorite Christmas Breakfast: Aebelskivers with whipped cream and either cinnamon or strawberry jam.
25. What do I want for Christmas? The impossible. I want all of our children and grandchildren to be under the same roof and celebrating together. I hope that one day that will happen.

1 comment:

Heidi Noel said...

I am glad you did it. I loved this one and thought of you.