Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Favorite Books

I am a reader. I have read books my whole life. I was an English major in college with a double minor of literature and American History. I had started out in Elementary Education with the intent of working with reading problems but the University I went to didn't have the best program in the world for that. So I switched so I could teach secondary education and share my love of books. Because I read so much I thought I should share some books every week. In the last month, since my surgery I have read 1 or 2 a day plus that 3 I read at Pam's - that's 30+ books I could discuss right there. I won't today but I have plenty of ammunition for Tuesday's Book Review.

My most favorite book of all time is Mrs. Mike. It is about a young woman that goes from Boston to Canada and marries a 'Canadian Mountie'. It was the first adult novel/biography I ever read. I was going into the 5th grade when my father gave it to me. Originally I was to get $1 if I finished it (big bucks in those days!). When I finished it, I told Dad that I didn't want to be paid for that book. I wanted it to be mine. I have read it at least once a year since and sometimes more. As I was analyzing why I realized that the reason I would pull it out so much when I was younger was we moved so frequently. This was a reliable friend that was always there. When lonliness was overwhelming, this book comforted me and in fact still does.

I belong to a book group here on the island (sounds like I live someplace exotic. I don't). We are constantly reading books about war and devastation. I have finally quit reading them. I don't like them and don't have to read them. Just because Oprah suggests them doesn't mean I have to read them. They may be the most beautifully written books on the planet but they are not my kind of read. I am not in school anymore and I am not required to read things for assignment. I am a stick in the mud sometimes but I don't have to have depressing thoughts because of reading something I didn't want to in the first place. I will say that occasionally the book group has has read some gripping books that I have been grateful to read. Last month we read 1,000 White Women - a fictional tale of what it would have been like if Thomas Jefferson had honored the request of an Indian Chief to send white women to the Native Americans. It was interesting. I can't say I am better person for reading it but it was a bit like 'Dances with Wolves'. There is no way it could end happily.

I am grateful to the authors everywhere in all genres. I am always amazed at what delights each new book brings to me.

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

I love to read, too. I read books over and over to catch things I may have missed and because I know I like them. I love that I am sharing books with my YW girls and we can discuss it. Your Mrs. Mike story reminds me of Meggie in "Inkheart".

Cari said...

I love Mrs. Mike as well, and Papa's wife, and all of James Herriots books. Those are my good read constants - oh and I read Kathy Little Bird and really enjoyed it as well. Love you!