Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday's Heroes

Today I have two Heroes. One hero I my grandson, Nathanael. Last week Nathanael was beat up on the playground of his elementary school defending the honor of little girl. He asked his parents not to get involved, to just let things ride. The thing that makes this so heroic in my eyes is that Nathanael faced this situation in kindergarten and handled it in such a mature and Christike manner. As I have pondered this, there is no way that he could not be one of my heroes this week.

My other hero that I want to honor this week is my sister, Marianne. We have been best friends most of our lives. For quite a bit of that time we were the only girls around and so we had to be friends or there was no one else to play with. Our families to this day are so intermingled that I love her daughters' as much as I love my own. My grandchildren that lived close to her in Texas call her grandma and actually know her better than me. I guess in many families that would cause some contention. In our family it brings joy that there has been someone to stand in my place that I love so much. I grew up always loving my sister. There were times I was mean to her but I felt guilty about that. I went through a phase were I thought it was the thing I should be doing - but I didn't like it. Then one day I realized that loving my sister and being her best friend were my choices and no one could stop me. It was quite freeing. We have been best friends ever since. When we need something we are the first to confide in each other about it even though we we miles apart. She is the best friend in the world because she knows how to listen. She has raised 4 beautiful daughters and has a great husband. Unlike Clyde and me - who seem to have to move every 8-10 years, Marianne and Frank have owned 2 homes in their married life up until this summer, when they decided to moved one more time. Christina, their youngest seems to be thriving in the new environment and the new move seems to be just for her.

I am truly blessed to have a sister that is my best friend and a hero in my life. She helps me set the bar higher for myself because of her expectations for herself. Her testimony of the gospel is so pure and trusting that I know that I can do better. She is an amazing woman and I am grateful for her in my life.

3 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

A nice tribute to your grandson. My sister's are my best friends, too. Each in a different way...

Cari said...

Aunt Marianne is one of my heroes as well. It was so wonderful to have her close for so long - and thank you for honoring my son. I sure miss you.....

Elise said...

Hello!!!!! It has been so nice to see your girls and what they are up to! I was excited when Jessica Smith told me you all live in Rhode Island. I would LOVE to come and see you!!! I need to get your phone number...and as soon as things slow down a bit for work, I'm all about the road trip. I've been traveling practically non-stop for about 3 weeks. I leave again on Monday for 4 days...and then I should have a break for at least 2 weeks. But- one of my favorite things about living out east is that there are So many neat places to visit- and not that far away! I'm glad all of you have blogs so I can keep up. It was nice to read about Marianne- and that I know her- she is wonderful! I saw Annemarie right before I left SLC at the temple, which was fun. Sarah was getting married that weekend. Plus I had a chance to go up on a ward temple trip to Manti- and I got to see Poppy there, which was special! I enjoyed reading one of the memories you have of your mom- She was a very special woman- and had an impact on my life as well. I STILL have the cabbage patch doll she made me...she made one for all your girls that year too and included me, which was so nice. Anyways- Can't wait to visit!! Hope your leg starts feeling better- you'll be in my prayers!