Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tuesday's Book Reviews


This weeks books has been interesting reading. I found a bunch of free books on Amazon (that weren't classics) and have been enjoying them. But I will admit that they have done the trick that Amazon desires - I am hooked on the authors and the series.
"The Renovation: The Carter Mansion" by Terri Kraus is about a widower who is a contractor and his uneasy relationship with his son. It is a well written and I had to get up in the middle of the night and finish this book and one other book this week because I was so close but just not quite finished when bedtime came. It is not a mystery, per se, but it is a story that unravels as it goes along. Apparently Terri Kraus and her husband are Christian authors that are quite popular when they write together. This was her first solo book and it was a good one.




I so wanted to blog about this book last Wednesday! This was a fun read about 2 female veterinarians in Tennessee. It is beautifully written and it was the other book that I got up in the middle of the night to finish. I actually had to look up to see if this was fiction or autobiographical (it is fiction but taken for the everyday). It is a wonderful - fun read. I look forward to reading more books by Carolyn McSparren because "All God's Creatures" was as fun as any book I have read in a long time.



"The Shunning" by Beverly Lewis was another one of those that the minute I finished it, I wanted to blog about it, instead of waiting until today. Not only did I learn a lot about the difference between the Amish and the Mennonites but I learned about forgiveness and following the covenants you have made within your religion. It was a beautifully written book and I look forward to the second one. This is one where Amazon did what it intended. If I cannot get the second book from the library - I will be downloading it on my Kindle, but I have to continue reading this series.




"Mossy Creek" was a delightful surprise. It is a grouping of short stories written by different authors. It is about people in the town of Mossy Creek. It is a wonderful book and made more delightful because the different authors give each a totally different voice to each character. I have read several of the authors in this book and will probably read most all of them in the future. It was a wonderful book to read.
It has been a long time since I could wholeheartedly tell you that every book I have read this week was a winner - but this week that was the case. They were all totally different and not my normal go t0 mystery (something that is not everyone's favorite). These were all straight forward novels and wonderful reading.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

My mom loves Beverly Lewis