Tuesday, October 4, 2011

That Doesn't Apply to Me

It really bugs me when people cannot follow the rules and laws.  What is so hard about stopping at a red light?  When a checkout line says 12 items or less it doesn't mean 12 shopping baskets or less it means the number of items in your basket.  When you pull a number at the deli counter - the person in front of you that didn't pull a number shouldn't butt in front of you and get in your face that he was there first (yes he was at the counter while I was pulling a number and I didn't start the confrontation - he did!).  In other words what does it pay to not be polite and just follow the simple curtesies of life?  I know this goes on everywhere but it seems to go on much more here.  For the most part I truly have not met more rude people that the people here in New England (I have lived in Europe for years!) and the sad part is that they are probably not even from here.  There are so many transplants on this island - heaven only knows where these people originally came from.  It does boggle my mind though.

On a brighter note:  During General Conference, President Monson talked about Peter Maurick.  When we lived in Germany the second time, Peter and his wife MaryPaul were in our ward.  Their faith in the Lord was beyond faith - it was a sure knowledge.  I have never met anyone like them before or since.  I in fact babysat for them several times.  Peter is from Holland and MaryPaul is from France.  Their common language was English, so that is what was spoken in their home.  Their children were speaking 4 different languages by the time they were 3 or 4 - Dutch, French, German and English and they were speaking them fluently.  I have often wondered about the Maurick's and now I know that his spirituality is still as strong as ever.  Otherwise he would never have been in tune enough to have heard that prompting.  He is still as amazing as ever. 

I hope to be blogging better.  I have been going through a bit of a rough patch and I think I am coming out of it.  Because of General Conference, I see in part the goals I need to set and some of the traits I need to work on in myself.  I came out of Conference and the General Relief Society Broadcast with a bit of a bruised ego - but I am better for it.

No comments: