Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Old Fashioned Expressions

When I was a little girl, people tended to used funny expressions.  I have been collecting some of them for a while and I thought I would share my memories.

Don't go barking up the wrong tree.  I occasionally even hear this one from my dad now, but this was one of his father's favorite expressions. 

Running around like a chicken with its head cut-off.  First of all - chickens do run around after their heads are cut-off if you don't have the body restrained somehow.  This was one that my parents used and both sets of grandparents.  In fact it was commonly used everywhere - and still on occasion today.

Even a blind mule finds an acorn once in a while.  This was one of Clyde's step-fathers favorite expressions.  He always said it in a very derogatory tone.

Sometimes the tail wags the dog.  This is one that Granny Rose, Clyde's grandmother used a lot.  I am still a bit puzzled about what it means though.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.  This is one that Clyde still uses and I do too on occasion.  It is mostly a reminder to myself not push my agenda on someone else.

Go hog wild.  This was very common expression when I was growing up.

Live high off the hog - this is another one that everyone used when I was growing up.

Happier than a pig in sunshine (or slop or mud).  This was one that depending on where I lived the last word changed.  My mother's maid in Texas when the girls were growing up, Leola, used this expression a lot and she changed between sunshine and slop.  Clyde uses this expression and says slop when he is being silly.

It might be a coon's age before you get what you are looking for.  This one was another that was used a lot when I was growing up.  I still don't know how long a 'coon' lives.

________ is as scarce as hen's teeth.  My mother used to say this when something was hard to find.  The word could be money, silk, or even a food item - changing to what she was looking for at the time.

Don't look hang-dog - This is another expression that Leola used a lot when someone was down or disappointed.

Don't get your feathers ruffled - this is one I remember from my Grandpa Tuttle.  Others used it but he said it the most.

Feeling lower than a snakes belly - An expression used all of my growing up years.

You are finer than frog hair.  This one was one used by people when I was really young and living in San Antonio the first time.  Since I knew that frog's didn't have hair, I felt like it was an insult no matter how nicely said it!

He's all hat and no cattle.  Grandpa Tuttle said this about farmers and ranchers that were more show than work.  Grandpa also always carried 2 handkerchiefs - one for show and one for blow.  In truth one was for wiping his face and the other 'for blow'.

When push comes to shove - is an expression that I still use.  It has been used my whole life.

Nobody knows you from Adam's house cat.  This is one that I heard different variations on but Clyde's mother always said/says, Adam's house cat.

Don't get mad as an old (and/or wet) setting hen.  This is another one that was said a lot when I was little.

Every dog has his day. This is one that my grandfathers said a lot.

I hope you enjoyed this trip down my memory lane.  Maybe they triggered some memories with you.


No comments: