Sunday, June 9, 2013

Fun words in Danish

We have been taking Danish lessons for about 2 months now.  Clyde and I study a minimum of 2 hours a day on the language.  This week we are supposed to talk about an experience we had - but put it all in Danish.  Just before we went to Denmark as a family in 1972, the statue of The Little Mermaid had been beheaded.  It had only been back in the harbor a week when we got there.  (She has had a lot of vandalism done to her over the years, so they have moved her farther out into the water.  You used to be able to reach her from land.  This has saved her).  I have been trying to put things together in my head - but I keep coming up with fun words to say or the meanings are not what they seem.

Gift - pronounced GEEFT - This word can mean marriage or poison, depending on how you use the word it in a sentence.  If you are not careful you could say you were poisoned instead of married.

skriftsted  - pronounced as it looks - Scriptures
genoprettelsen - pronounced GAY-NO-PRAWTTELSEN- the Restoration
Mormor - pronounced more-more - Matriarchal grandmother (Marianne and I would only be Mormor in Danish).
Bestemor - pronounced BESTA-MORE - Patriarchal Grandmother
Mor - pronounced MORE - is mother
Bestefar - Pronounced BEST-FAIR - Grandfather (They don't differentiate).
I can't write the word for grandchild but it is pronounced BURNABURN.
The Danish language has 3 additional letters to ours.  There is the Ae letter (the a and e loop into each other to become one letter).  It is pronounced like eh.  The O with a line through it (which is how borneborn should be spelled) and you end up with oo like in door.   However it more often that not ends up sounding in a way cannot describe well.  Angel A - as we have come to call it is the letter A with a 'halo' above it.  There is a tiny circle above the A and it becomes ah or eh depending on the word.  Ande - which means holy spirit - has an angel A at the beginning.  In this case Ande  become Ahnah.

This has become a fun thing to do.  We carried on conversation with a volunteer for 30 minutes during our tutorial yesterday.  We are getting better.  Now to just have it connect to the point that it becomes second nature.  The problem with Danish is it is very rarely pronounced like German.  I am astonished at the amount of German I am remembering - when I shouldn't.  On occasion our tutor will say that my German is coming through better than my Danish.  There are times when I can't think anything but German.  I have had to completely stay away from it for my own sanity.  One of these days this will all pay off.  Starting in July, Clyde and I are going to converse in Danish only to each other.  Please - if you hear us - it is just our way of practicing and not us trying to shut you out.

No comments: