Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Music

Because there is absolutely nothing on TV anymore, I listen to Pandora Internet Radio - A LOT!  The other day I was having kind of a so so day and Herman's Hermit's "A Kind of Hush" came on.  All of the sudden I was so happy.  The Beatle's "And I Love Her" does the same thing to me.  These are not the best pop songs ever written and but there is something that happened when these songs were playing that just triggers happy emotions in me.  I find that kind of interesting. 


I play classical music when I need a calming influence and I do listen to classical music most of the time.  But when I am exercising, cleaning the apartment or just need a boost, I go to the music of my teenage years.  I find listening to groups like the Monkees not as much fun as other groups.  I loved the Monkees growing up but they caused a lot of drama between my mom and me.  Almost every song I hear by them resurrects an argument.  Maybe that is why these other songs make me so happy.  None of my music made my mother happy.  But these songs must not have bothered her.  


I tried really hard to let my daughters listen to whatever they wanted to listen too.  I knew they knew what was a good choice and what wasn't but I refused to have it come between us.  I still think it was the best choice in our relationship.  I definitely would never go back or wish to go back to my teenage years.  But it is sure fun to listen to MY music when I want to.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

I listen to Backstreet Boys and old Britney Spears sometimes. All the music that I listened to as a teenager. There is just something about listening to music like that which picks you up and gives you energy. I like knowing I'm not the only one. :)