Friday, July 6, 2012

"Brave" The Movie

Several people have asked me to express my opinion of "Brave" once I saw it.  On July 4, Clyde and I went.  We thought we were going to go and see it in 3D but our theater discontinued it that day . I have a heard a lot of mixed reviews from friends and family about the movie, so I wasn't expecting much.  I loved it.  I thought it was beautifully done and was mesmerized the whole.  Quite often in movies, I will look at my watch 2 or three times.  I didn't glance at my watch once.  But here are the reasons I think people are put off a bit by the movie


1.  For Pixar this is a darker theme than they usually do. Their movies are usually light and fluffy - feel good themes.  The closest to this would be "UP" and there are people that have a hard time with that one too.  Disney has done many.
2.  The animation was so realistic for the background, animals, etc. and then the humans were full blown cartoons.  Even something as simple as Marida's hair - was so lifelike on a caricature.  
3.  For some the nudity was a big turn off.  Disney did some nudity up until the late 1940's but haven't since.
4.  I have a friend that said she didn't like it because the story line was too real.   Mother/daughter relationships are not good stories.  I thought that was what made it such a beautiful movie.

Everyone has their own reasons why they did like it - if they liked it.  I have not met a young woman or girl that hasn't LOVED the movie.  Maybe we should take a hint from them.  They don't take things as seriously.  I liked it because it reminded me to let people become who they need to become.  Like the Queen, I so want to manipulate and make people be what I want to them to be - but that is not fair to anyone.  Just like the Queen, when I became friends with my own daughters, our relationship was so much better.  There were still a few rocky times but overall it was fun to watch them grow into beautiful women, wives and mothers.  I was actually scolded at times by well meaning older women because I was a friend to each of my teenage daughters.  They told me that I was treading on dangerous ground.  I had to keep the boundaries of mother and daughter up and should never befriend them - it would only bring heartache.  Fortunately I didn't listen to them and not only am I friends with my daughters, I am friends with their friends too.


Back to the movie.  Do I recommend it - Yes.  You can go and make up your own mind.  As for Clyde and I - we thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon in the air conditioned theater on the 4th of July watching a very good movie.

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

Nope. I didn't like it because I felt like there were pieces missing. I kind felt confused at times. Plus we were at the drive in and Mal was a stinker and Anneke was trying to watch the dancing on another screen. Argh!

Grandma Bailey said...

I saw Andy's comments about Mike's Magic and trying to keep Anneke from watching. What were they thinking! However that Drive In by Live Oak was set up the same way. That is why we never went there. Sorry you didn't like it. Your expectations of movies and other things are always higher than mine though.