Thursday, May 24, 2012

Kneeling Down

For the last 5 1/2 years I have not been able to kneel down because of my knees.  This has been a great sadness to me because I have felt my prayers have not been as sincere but in addition to that I have been hampered in other things too.  I haven't been able to do things in the temple that I loved to do.  Just pulling things out from under the bed were monumental.

Then a month ago I hired Karen King to come and help me get in shape for our mission next year.  I knew I had to be physically able to go, with the stamina to push in order to be a good missionary - no matter where we serve.  3 weeks ago she had me go on the floor for some Pilate's exercises and on my knees for balance.  As I went down the second or third day on my own, I realized my knees were hurting less and less.  On a hard floor they still hurt when I initially get down, but if I cushion them with a pillow or a cushion, I can kneel quite comfortably for quite a while.  This was evident when we went to the temple last Friday.  Ordinarily we work on Friday's in the temple but one of my seminary students was in the play "Our Town" last week and we wanted to see him.  If we wanted to do the session it was necessary that we fulfill all responsibilities of the session because there was Clyde and me and a Spanish speaking sister.  We eventually ended up with the Mission President and his wife but nonetheless I did it and felt no pain.  It was big milestone and I have been kneeling for prayer ever since.

A real quick note about "Our Town".  I have to admit that I dreaded it.  I hate that play.  I have never liked it.  I tried watching it again not too long ago when I heard that Paul Newman played the stage manager.  I still didn't like it.  Friday night's High School production was the best I have EVER seen.  It was engaging and wonderful.  The only thing I can think that made it different was there was a sense of naivete and other worldly attitude to it that only youth could bring.  Devon Mello did a fabulous job as stage manager and he truly made the play.  He is the best stage manager I have ever seen.  I have been tortured through this play many times.  I am probably becoming an expert on it!  I used to rank this with Heart of Darkness (my least favorite book ever!)  Not anymore.

1 comment:

Heidi Noel said...

That was a very nice post. Congratulations. It is nice to know you aren't in as much pain. I worry about that. (Big surprise on the worry front.)