Friday, May 20, 2011

Reading

I come from a family of readers.  One of my earliest memories is seeing everyone reading at my Grandma Tuttle's house and wishing I could too.  One of my Grandma Tuttle's favorite books while growing up was "Lavendar and Old Lace".  It is a sweet story and I could download it free on my Kindle so very early on, when I first got my Kindle, I read it.  The other day out of sheer boredom, I decided to see if Myrtle Reed had written any other books and she had.  I just finished reading "The Master's Violin" and thoroughly enjoyed it.  You have to get used to the old fashioned language and rhythm at first but then it flows pretty quickly.  According to Amazon this not available on the Kindle but it is - because of the Guettenberg Press and Mobi, as are most of Myrtle Reed's books.  If you want a fun read - go to one of her books.  They are a bit like Francis Hodgson Burnett's books but not nearly as tragic (and not about children).  Both the books I have read so far are about the class system in the US - even though we supposedly don't have one - and how we dwell on it.  They were written at the turn of the 20th century.  Quite interesting.

No comments: