Wednesday, September 15, 2010

This and That

I was supposed to do my book review blog yesterday. I would feel really bad about it but I don't think anyone reads it anyway. The excuse - forgot it was Tuesday. The kids were off from Seminary and it totally threw my week off.

There are a couple of new studies out. One study says that if you read as a family for at least 5 minutes everyday, you children will be smarter and better adjusted and feel more loved. I thought about this. We always had family scripture study every day and that was the only formal reading we ever did as a family. On occasion we read other books together but our consistant reading throughout our daughters' lives were family scripture study. I think I have 4 quirky but very smart, well adjusted daughters who know that we love them. The thing that I love is that they are carrying on the same tradition in their own homes. I look at other families that do scripture study and see very smart and well adjusted children and I would say they come from homes that they feel very loved. I am sure the study meant to read something else and yet isn't it interesting that scripture reading could bring about such wonderful benefits and there is a study to prove it!

Another study is that families of sisters are closer knit than other families. This one made me laugh. They were studying women after the youngest sister of more than 3 sisters turned 21 and seeing what the dynmics of their relationship was. Whether they lived close to each other or across the world, sisters were close as adults and needed each other. They tended to turn to each other before they even turned to a best friend because they knew how their sisters would react but the best friend was still a slight unknown. I watch our daughters and sometimes I feel out of the loop because they are always calling each other about what is happening in their lives. Every once in a while they include me as an after thought. But in truth I love the fact that they have each other and love each other so much.

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

Maybe just review the books you really enjoy. I do look at your review blogs, but they can get lengthy.

Cari said...

Sisters are close - what a neat study. Poor Carlye!!!