Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tuesday's Book Review


Last night we went to see "How to Train Your Dragon". It was a wonderful movie. The whole time I was watching it, I was wishing I was watching it with Marcus, Nathanael and Noah. They would love it! Great movie but there is the under current of dragon slaying but you never see anyone killed. There is one guy that lost an arm and a leg to a dragon. In a sense the whole movie is about learning to face your fears. Clyde and I loved it.

I can't decide if I should apologize or celebrate the fact that there are 3 Lisa Wingate books this week. You can decide. I think I also highly recommend every single book this week. That is because I have read my favorite authors all week. Some weeks of reading are just a pure pleasure and that is what this one has been.

"Language of Sycamores" is book 3 in the the series with "Tending Roses" (see below) by Lisa Wingate. This is about Karen - the other one is about her sister and their grandmother. I didn't know I was reading them out of sequence. I don't think it really matters. Just start with "Tending Roses" and then go from there. I am not even sure what book 2 is titled. I highly recommend this book. It is eye opening in a lot of ways. It is about sibling rivalries into adulthood, putting career over family and chasing dreams that turn into smoke but finding yourself in the end. It is beautiful story that will make you laugh and cry.

"Smoky Mountain Tracks" is a book about search and rescue dogs. It is written by a woman that is involved in Canine Companions for Independence, Therapy Dogs International and operates The Pet Coach, a dog training and behavioral consultation service - along with being involved in several rescue groups and other organizations. I have liked Donna Ball's writing since I first read her in the "Mossy Creek" books and everything I have picked up since that she has authored. I highly recommend this book. I learned some amazing things about search and rescue dogs. I have always been fascinated about them but they are even more amazing after reading this book.

"Sweet Hush" by Deborah Smith was delightful book of maternal love and forgiving past wrongs. It is also about the importance of letting people see you for who you are and not trying to be someone perfect that no one can live up to. I highly recommend it but warn that there is a bit of language.

I know! Another Lisa Wingate book. "Tending Roses" is one of her first novels if not her first. It is about a young woman named Kate that goes with her husband and baby and takes care of her grandmother in Missouri. It is a beautiful story of learning to love and forgetting past wrongs. As with all of the other Lisa Wingate books, I highly recommend this book. I cannot do it justice by explaining the plot. Pam has read it and understands what I mean. It is truly a book that has to be read to be appreciated. Pam's friend (and one of my surrogate daughters!) Hayden gave it to her to read. When I was telling Pam about it, she got really excited but we both realized I could never do it justice in a book report. I have about decided that you really can't do any book justice from a book report nor can a fly leaf. It is going to sing to your heart in the first 50 pages of the book or it is just not worth reading. It is your decision if it is going to be a book you will enjoy - not mine. We all have different tastes - which is why the world is so unique and wonderful and also why there are so many wonderful books out there.

"Albert" by Donna Jo Napoli is a delightful picture book. Pam has me reading Donna Jo Napoli's books. Some I love - others I don't. This one is a book I am going to find and keep in my personal library. It is book about a young man that is never satisfied and then a responsibility is thrust upon him and he realizes how wonderful life is. It is a fairy tale and it is a bit twisted in typical Napoli fashion - but a wonderful and sweet story. I highly recommend this to anyone with children and without. It is a good book reminding us that certain responsibilities should be taken seriously and with loving care.

"Confections of a Closet Master Baker" by Gesine Bullock-Prado is a delightful book that I grabbed off the library shelf the other day. (I usually reserve my books and there was a long line so I thought I would browse a minute and I found this). I didn't realize until I started reading it that this is Sandra Bullock's sister. It is a wonderful book and I highly recommend it. There are even a few recipes that you might want to try.

"Texas Cooking" is the first of the trilogy of books of Lisa Wingates books that include "The Lone Star Cafe" and "Over the Moon at the Big Lizard Diner". I read the books completely out of context (I read them #2, #3 and #1) so I knew how this one was going to end up but it was still a fun book. It takes place in San Saline and Menard County. It was just as much fun as the first 2 I read. I am not sure just anyone would love the books as much as I do. I have a soft spot for books about Texas so I may just be willing to read real trash when it comes right down to something about Texas. However I loved this trilogy and I highly recommend it. They are sweet loves stories with good morals and full of Yankee women who find 'Texan Good ol' boys'!


Several people highly recommended "A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street" to me. However our library only had the movie called "The Adventures of Ociee Nash". I watched that and now I am going to download the book on my Kindle. I did not realize that it was a true story of the authors' grandmother. The movie is rated G and I highly recommend it but I don't know if it has anything to do with the book or not. However I am going to get the movie because it is a positive story about a little girl - it is a cute story and it is rated G! That is 3 very good reasons to own a DVD. This is one that can be watched at Church or by grandchildren! There is another book written about Ociee Nash - I will probably be reading it too.

No comments: