Monday, December 31, 2012

The Search for Lodging

This is Mexican Christmas Carol.  The Spanish title is "Pedida de la Posada".

Joseph
Lodging, I beg you, good man in the name of heaven!
My wife is weary;
She says she can go no farther,
Long have we traveled; 
Have mercy on us, good man!
God will reward you if you will give shelter to her.

Innkeeper
There is no room in this place for any stranger.
I do not know you; 
Be gone! and all talking cease!
I do not care if great distance - 
You have come.
All of your pleading is vain, so -
Go away; let us have our peace!

Joseph
Listen, I beg you, for she is not a stranger.
Her name is Mary, and she is the Queen of Heaven.
My name is Joseph; 
We journey from Nazareth.
She has been chosen by God to bear His Son, 
The King of Men!

Innkeeper
Pardon, good Joseph, for I did not know you.
My house is honored by you and the Holy Presence.
Great is my joy,
If you choose to rest here.
Enter, I beg you, and bless this humble home;
Bring it happiness.

Joseph
Enter, Sweet Mary, we now have found lodging.
Here is man who to us opens his home and heart.
To him and all who shall thus His Son receive
God shall reward with great love.
The happiness He gives shall never depart!

No comments: