Thursday, December 20, 2012

"On Christmas Day"

Said Old Gentleman Gray, On Christmas Day
If you want to be happy, give something away.
So he sent a fat turkey to Shoemaker Price
And the Shoemaker said, "What a big bird, how nice,

And since such a fine dinner is set before me,
I'll send this fine chicken I bought to poor Widow Lee."
"This fine chicken, Oh see," said the pleased Widow Lee.
"And its kindness that sent it, how precious to me."

"I would like to make someone happy and
I'll send Washwoman Libby my big pumpkin pie,"
"Oh my," Libby said. "'Tis the queen of pies;
Just to look at its yellow face, gladdens my eyes.

Now it's my turn, I think and a sweet sugar cake
For the motherless Finnegan children I'll bake."
Said the Finnegan children, Rose, Denny and Hugh,
"Thank you so much, how kind of you;

It smells sweet of spice and we'll carry a slice
To poor lame Jake who has nothing that's nice."
"I thank you and thank you," said little lame Jake,
"For sharing with me your magnificent cake.

In my basket, I'll save all the crumbs
And give them all to each little sparrow that comes."
And the sparrows - they twittered as if they could say
Like Old Gentleman Gray, "On Christmas Day,
If you want to be happy, you give something away."
~ Unknown ~

No comments: