Sunday, October 31, 2010

Vaccinate Your Kids and Yourself!

I don't usually get on my soapbox on my blog about something like this.  I don't have small children and so I try to stay neutral on child rearing decisions.  I can no longer stay silent on this one.  We have 2 positive cases of Whooping Cough in the ward and a possible third.  Whooping Cough is completely preventable if you keep up on your vaccinations.  It is also deadly!  One of the babies is too young to be vaccinated yet but the others are old enough to have had their shots.  More and more I hear about mothers who choose not to inoculate because a movie star said it caused autism.  There is not a medical study to say that.  Some children grow out of their autistic like tendencies.  I think in her case, her son did.  More and more cases deadly childhood diseases are popping up.  A community in Massachusetts had an outbreak of measles last year in the high school and small pox is even popping up in the third world countries.  Be careful in what you choose.  These diseases are not to be trifled with.  That is why the vaccination is there.  Keep yourself and your children inoculated.

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Amen! Vaccinations are so important!

Holly said...

God gave us the medical technology for a reason...at least that's the way I look at it. You better believe that when we're blessed with little ones they'll be vaccinated!

Cari said...

We've had cases of polio in San Antonio. I, too, considered not inoculating my children. However, when I talked to my doctor he said that people who choose not to immunize their children have never seen the effects of the diseases they protect our children against. In trying to protect their children a lot of parents are re-introduing diseases to them that they should be allowed to live without.