Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Summertime with our Girls

Pam coming down a slide at Sea World.

i
I am not sure where this picture was taken but I think it was taken at the San Antonio Zoo or Sea World.  I am sure one of the girls will correct me.
We spent all of our girls early childhood summers in the deep south.  They grew up in Texas and North Carolina.  They spent their summers in Texas because my father would come and get me in Durham, North Carolina in June, we would drive to San Antonio in the station wagon and then Clyde would fly in about August.  We did that the two full summers we lived in North Carolina.  Every other summer we lived in Texas.  When Fiesta Texas and then Sea World were built in San Antonio, we bought summer passes for each - one year Sea World, the next year Fiesta Texas.  Then we realized we enjoyed Sea World maybe once a year but Fiesta Texas we loved going to over and over so we settled on getting a family pass there every year.  This worked out really well when I went back to UTSA to get my degree.  I would go year round, even during the summer.  When I didn't take the girls' to my sister's, I would dump the kids off at Fiesta Texas and then go to class.  I would get oug of class and spend some times with the kids at Fiesta Texas and then head home.  We didn't do that all of the time but the girls still talk about their summers at Fiesta Texas.  (Fiesta Texas is now Fiesta Texas Six Flags).  


We always had a family pass for the zoo, also.  Our daughters still have wonderful memories of the zoo and take their children to the zoo.  This is a rambling post but I was just thinking about the fun summers with my daughters' as they grew up.  I miss them.  

2 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

I am excited to take Marcus to the zoo. He hasn't been since I was pregnant with Luke. (So about 4 years!) It holds a lot of good memories.

Cari said...

I miss you, too! Carlye loves it when you post pictures of me when I was little. Sadly, it's because she thinks it's neat that she DOESN'T look like me.

I'm not sure what I think about that.