Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Spinner in the Sun

It has been a while since I have done a book review but I have been haunted by this book.  I can't quit thinking about it.  The problem is, unless you want to download it on your computer or have a Kindle or Kindle app you probably won't find it.  It was written in the very beginning of the 20th century - about 1905.  The author is Myrtle Reed and she was one of my Grandma Tuttle's favorites, which is why I started reading it in the first place.  The story is of a woman that appears in a town, heavily veiled after 25 years.  She had been badly burned there in the home of her fiance.  He had been saved from any harm because of her quick thinking.  When he arrived at the hospital, he was told that the burns were so bad, her facial features were unrecognizable but they thought she might be able to see shadows.  The rest of the book is about how the lives of people are touched by this woman.  There was one profound thought by a man that did acts of service, especially for women (in honor of his mother).  He was working very hard putting a garden in.  Evelina asked him why.  He said it brought him great joy.  She said it was her garden, though.  He said, "Any act of service is all the more joyful by the actual work rendered.  It is the work that makes service sweet."  I highly recommend this book.  I just don't know were you will find it except from the Guettenberg Press.

1 comment:

GRK_MMM said...

I really liked the book. Was nice to read a book that was positive and uplifting for a change. thanks for telling us about it.